Sunday, May 4, 2008

Meeting a McCoy!

I had a very interesting day on Friday. First, it was my last day of Newslink Indiana. I'll have a post relecting on the semester in the next few days but I chose a fun story to end the semester with. I'm not going to give it all away but I'll give you a little tease to encourage you to watch. My story dealt with 80-something-year-old ladies and nude poses! You can watch the story here.

But...the interesting part of my day that'll I'll tell you about in this blog is a really cool story. Rachel, my photographer for the story, and I were hungry after finishing our story. We were in a town that is about the size of Paoli, called Winchester. (Paoli basketball fans may recognize this name...the Rams and the Golden Falcons seemed to meet year after year in the semi state in the early years of class basketball. The Golden Falcons and the RAms both have enjoyed a return to glory as well. In fact, Wincherster has been the 2A runner-up the last two season.) Anyway...Rachel and I decided to grab a bite to eat and we walked a block down from the town square to a little pizza parlor.

I wish I could remember the name of the place but I'll just say that it was less than half the size of Papinno's. We walked in and order our pizza. Then, we went to sit down at one of the two card-table sized tables in the place. We looked up and noticed all of the empty wall space had been filled with memorabilia. Posters, tickets, records, record covers, pictures, and much more...all from the band The McCoy's. Now...to be honest...I had never heard of The McCoy's. You may not know the name either but I'm sure you know one of their songs. It was their only billboard number 1..."Hang on Sloopy" If you've ever been to a Paoli high school basketball game then you've heard the pep band play this.

Anyway...Rachel and I were both intrigued so we decided to ask why this little pizza place had all of this stuff. The lady was quick to share with us that her husband was the key board player for this 1960's boy band. The man himself then walked out and talked to us for about 15 minutes about his days in the band. The McCoy's actually opened for the Beatles for about 6 months. I was talking to a former rock star! I got his autograph (which he really enjoyed giving) and learned a lot about this guy's life. It was a neat experience! You never know when you may be talking to somebody who was a somebody at one point or another.