Tuesday, May 13, 2008

My First Day at WKYT

This afternoon I embarked on what will surely be a very exciting part of my summer...my internship in the sports department at WKYT 27. It was a great first day. I got to know a few of the men that I'll be working with throughout the summer and things look like they'll be really fun.

I became acclimated with the sports department section of the building (which looks like a beautiful colonial style mansion). In fact, I actually edited together 3 highlight reels for the 10 o'clock show. The guys were quick to accept me and to start teaching me the ins and outs of the station.

Today was also a reassurance that Ball State's tcom department is everything that it's cracked up to be! When one of the sports reporters was explaining some of the programs they use he was absolutely amazed to learn I already had experience with those programs. In fact he said, "How the h%^* did you learn all this stuff?" Then later, as I was preparing to leave for the evening, the same guy said, "Well Cameron, you're a quick study but you are by far the farthest along first-day-intern in the history of WKYT."

Both of those statements were compliments of not only me but Ball State and my professors who have obviously taught me the things that I need to know in the real world.

Ultimately it was a very enjoyable first day and I'm really looking forward to working as part of the "WKYT Sports First" team throughout the summer.

Side Note: WKYT is one of only a handful of stations in the entire country that shoot high-definition in the field instead of converting it later.