Sunday, June 15, 2008

A First Time

This week I did something I had never done before. It was something that I have always looked forward to and it really was just as special as I had anticipated. On Wednesday evening, I baptized someone for the very first time.

His name is Bradley Montgomery. He's a very kind hearted boy and this week he decided to ask Jesus into his heart. Now, I really don't think his decision was really that closely tied to anything I said or did. I actually think it was some of the other campers and faculty. But, when he wanted to talk about his decision he came to me. We had some very good conversations about what becoming a Christian means and it was very obvious that he ready to make that decision.

It was such a humbling experience for me as I tiptoed down the steps of the pool. My mind was filled with memories of my sins and my unworthiness to actually baptize someone. As Bradley and I found a spot in the pool we stopped and I told him how I would cover his nose with his hand ect. The look in his eyes is something I will not soon forget.

His eyes said it all. They twinkled with the realization that a weight was about to be lifted off his shoulders. They were eyes filled with hope where despair had once roamed. They were eyes filled with joy.

I really don't remember much about the "good confession" we went through or the actually dunk in the water.

But one of my fondest memories of the entire event happened as Bradley and I walked back to the dorm to change out of our swimming trunks. I asked him how he felt and he response was...well...fantastic.

"I feel like I'm dreaming," he responded, "I just feel like I'm so light."

Forgiveness sure feels good.