Monday, September 8, 2008

Football Weekend

I have four teams that I really root for on every weekend of football. One is my home team Paoli Rams. In past seasons cheering for the rams has been about as enjoyable as sleeping on a hardwood floor without a pillow. However, last season changed that completely. For the first time since 1997 the rams had a winning record and they advanced in the state tournament. The sectional victory against clarksville was one of the most fun football games I've ever been a part of. This season the rams are picking up where they left off last season. Paoli has won its first three games this year and looks poised to continue that dominance for several more games. Going back to last season the rams have won 9 of their last 10 games. The rams won big over county rival Springs Valley this friday night by a score of 42-0. And what makes the season even more fun is that my brother Caleb and cousin Cody are intrumental in the rams success.

My second team I root for is my Ball State Cardinals. This team too has not been easy to root for in the past but after a winning record and bowl game appearance last season things are looking up for the cardinal and white. Ball State got a huge win Friday night in front of a sell out crowd at Schuemann Stadium and an ESPN national audience, beating Navy 35-23. The Cards are now 2-0 and they'll take on Akron this Saturday at 1 pm. You can listen to the game (as I deliver play-by-play action) at www.wcrd.net.

The thrid team I root for is LSU. Their game was postponed due to damage from hurrican Gustav so I didn't get to cheer them on.

The last team that I root for is the Indianapolis Colts. Now the colts are a team, unlike Ball State and Paoli, that have been so easy to root for in recent years. They're classy and they're really good. But last night the Colts got off to a very shaky start as they were dominated by the Chicago Bears and fell 29-13. I think the colts will be just fine this season but it's going to take a few games for the crew to get things going...and as long as Jeff Saturday is out I don't think Peyton will be the Peyton of old.

I guess I should also mention that it looks like Tom Brady is out for the season with a knee injury. Let me say that I couldn't be happier about that.