Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Jr. High Students...AHHH!

I really enjoy doing the jr. high age group week of camp. I've helped with that week for, I believe, 6 or 7 years now and I've enjoyed each one. However, last week at Scenic Hills was the more trying week I believe I've ever been too as faculty.

It was a rewarding week and I think we made a difference in some students' lives but...wow...did I want to just shake some of the kids!

I did more one-on-one counseling than I've ever done before at a week of camp and it was very exhausting. Some of the stories that students shared were just heartbreaking for me.

Some of the students (actually some of the boys) were just flat out bad. They put one boy's shorts in a toilet. They intentionally broke three glow sticks and poured them out on the floor. They were extremely obnoxious when it was bed time. They asked stupid questions. They gambled on stinkin carpet ball!!! I mean...some of those guys were just bad. But despite all of those things I think we softened some hearts and really made a difference. And that's why I love jr. high camp!