Saturday, June 21, 2008

Another Week of Camp

I got home from another week of jr. high church camp yesterday afternoon. As you would imagine, I was pretty well pooped. (Although not too tired to enjoy a great night with Jessie, Sam, and the CCU team here in Lexington...but that's for another post)

This past week I was Teen Mission USA's represenative at Kentucky Christian Assembly. KCA is a more primitive camp than Scenic Hills and I was ok with that. The dean was a full-time mailman (he walked a 10 mile route daily) and a part-time youth minister. He was very passionate and good with the students. It wasn't the most organized week I've ever been too, in fact most of the time I felt out of the loop, but the results can't be argued with. There were 53 campers and by the end of the week 7 were baptized and many more rededicated their lives.

The students at the south central Kentucky camp are certainly not wealthy. There were not very many students wearing designer clothes...and when it came time for the offering for TM I must say my expectations were pretty low. Boy did God use those students to prove me wrong! The students raised (with some special incentives) a total of over $300. Over $200 of that came on the last night following a wonderful prayer walk that ultimately featured nearly 2 hours of intense prayer from each student and faculty member. It was evident that many if not all of the students at KCA chose to give sacrificially to TM. (A trick I learned from Greg may have also helped the students to give their money. I told them that if they took home money from camp then the next summer their parents wouldn't feel it was necessary to give them as much...haha...they listened!)

The last two weeks of camp have been really enjoyable. But I'm glad I don't have a week of camp or VBS this week. I'll just be hanging out with Greg and going to the station often. Thanks for reading!