Friday, July 11, 2008

Fly Like an Eagle

I read a very intriguing article in the Bedford Times-Mail yesterday. It was written by my good friend Roger Moon and it detailed what struck me as a very cool discovery.


Earlier this year an injured bald eagle was discovered along a rural road somewhere in Tennessee. The bird was retrieved by the Tennessee Wildlife Resources Agency. It was taken to a vetrinarian in the area and diagnosed with a badly broken wing. The people at the Tennessee Wildlife Resources Agency said there was no sign of a gun shot wound and it is believed the bird was hit by a car. I know none of this really seems interesting. However, the cool thing about the eagle was what the tag on one of the legs of the bird revealed. This eagle was actually from Indiana. It was released as part of the Indiana Eagle Restoration project in....1986!


The bird was about 6 weeks old when it was released in Monroe County in September of 1986...that means that this particular eagle is about 2 months older than me. I know...I'm wierd but the thought of an eagle flying around Indiana, Kentucky, and Tennessee for my entire lifetime is really cool to me.

Just the other day Jessie and I watched the Disney movie "Rescuers Down Under" which features a bald eagle as one of the main characters and...even though it was an animated film...the movie reminded me of how majestic these creatures are. It also served as a reminder of how close we had come to wiping the bald eagle out. But thanks to the Indiana Eagle Restoration project and other similar projects the eagle has made a comeback. The eagle was taken of the federal endagered species list last June and Roger's article revealed that just recently it was discovered that Indiana's bald eagles have achieved 100 nesting pairs.